Shields Gas Services (Chertsey Meads Marine) Gas Safe 5263

COVID-19 Updates

Please note we will attend to boiler or heating problems subject to the advice of Gas Safe and our own restrictions. 

See covid-19 update above

For all gas work on Boats as well as Domestic Housing, RV,s and Mobile Homes. Gas Safety has to be a priority.

  • Engineers should be registered with The Gas Safe Register to ensure that they are fully qualified in the work that is being carried out.
  • All our engineers are qualified to this high standard and work is regularly checked to maintain these standards.
  • We have been installing and servicing Domestic heating and Boat systems for 40 years with either LPG or Natural gas.
  • Since the introduction of the Boat Safety Scheme we have been involved with all aspects of gas installations applicable to the scheme.
  • It also fits in with other engineering work such as fuel line replacement for Petrol or Diesel which can be done at the same time, thus providing a more efficient service.
  • We can provide Landlord Certificates as well as Safety Certificates for all these categories as well as providing the necessary installation requirements.


If you live on, rent out or use a boat with gas appliances, Gas Safety is important.

  • We are recommending that all boats are fitted with Bubble testers.
  • It has been found that time is considerably reduced if a Bubble tester is fitted when tracing a leak.
  • It also has the advantage that you can test your own system.

SEEN LEFT This screw comes from a trim fitted to the outside of the boat, the screw penetrates the plastic sleeve and goes through the copper gas pipe this is how it left the factory. The Boat Safety examiner failed the system on a slight leak!

It took quite a time to find the problem, it has now been replaced with a new pipe.

When buying a new or replacement appliance you should make sure that it is suitable for use on a boat and for the type of gas to be used (e.g. LPG or Natural Gas).

  • TESTING All gas appliances should be regularly serviced and safety checked every year by a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • You should check your engineer is qualified to work on boats as well as qualified to work on the individual appliance.
  • For example, if you need someone to work on an LPG gas cooker on your boat, they will need to be registered for boats, cookers and LPG gas.

To comply with Gas Safety Regulations, any boat that is used for hire and reward (such as narrow boats and cruisers on inland waterways) which provides residential accommodation must have an annual safety check carried out. Landlord’s duties apply and there are three main responsibilities:

  • Maintenance: pipework, appliances and flues must be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the appliance manufacturer’s instructions. Where these instructions are not available it is recommended that the appliances are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Gas safety checks: a 12 monthly gas safety check must be carried out on each gas appliance and flue system. A gas safety check will make sure all gas fittings and appliances are safe to use. The condition of the gas equipment and any safety defect is recognised and mentioned on the Gas Safety Record.
  • Record: a record of the annual gas safety check must be provided to your tenant within 28 days of the check being completed or to new tenants before they move in. If the boat is hired out for less than 28 days at a time, it is also permissible to display a copy of the Landlords Gas Safety Record in a prominent position within the boat. Landlords must keep copies of the gas safety record for two years. Note: the gas safety record should not be confused with a Boat Safety Scheme certificate.

If you are using a portable appliance on your boat with an integral gas canister make sure you: (PLEASE NOTE These appliances are not acceptable on the inland waterways BSS)

  • Check the equipments condition before each use. If the gas canister seal looks damaged, or if the gas canister is extremely rusty and deteriorated, or shows any signs of distress, do not use it.
  • Familiarise yourself with the operating instructions before use.
  • Ensure that you have the correct type of gas canister for your appliance and that it is being inserted in the correct position and in the right way.
  • Do not force the gas canister retaining lever into position. It could damage the mechanical linkage and the pressure relief device. If you have problems with the retaining lever, check that items such as pan supports/spill tray and the gas canister have been correctly installed.
  • If you still have problems with the lever or if you have further problems or concerns, do not attempt to light the appliance.
  • If you smell or hear gas leaking before attempting to light it, don’t use it.
  • Stow the canisters, used or unused and the stove if it has a canister inserted, in a self-draining gas locker, or on an open deck where any escaping gas can flow overboard.

Using gas cylinders on boats

If you are using a gas cylinder on a boat:

  • Install a gas detection system, if possible.
  • Have a Bubble tester installed so you can check the system for leaks.
  • When changing cylinders, make sure all cylinder valves and appliance valves are turned off before disconnecting.
  • Regularly hand-pump bilges (the enclosed areas at the inner bottom of the hull) to remove potential low-lying vapours.
  • Keep the cabin well ventilated to avoid build-up of poisonous carbon monoxide.


Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous gas which is created when fossil fuels such as gas, coal and wood fail to combust correctly i.e. due to a lack of oxygen. You can’t see CO, taste it or smell it, therefore it can kill quickly with no warning.

We recommend you install a CO alarm on your boat. These alarms should be installed and located in accordance with manufacturers instructions. A CO alarm will alert you to poisonous carbon monoxide. It should be marked to EN 50291 and have the British Standards’ Kitemark or another European approval organisation’s mark on it.